Moto Adventures

Friday, March 26, 2010

Heather can cook

As I've said in previous posts, the main attractions here in Chiang Mai are trekking and cooking schools and seeings as I (we) are not up to trekking at the moment I decided to check myself into a half day days course. It sounded interesting to me and Ken is never opposed to my learning culinary skills. As it happened I was the only student signed up for the afternoon class so received my very own personal, one on one tutorial.
So, what was on the books in the kitchen on this 36 degree (before flame and oven temperatures) afternoon? I had my choice of numerous dishes from which I had to pick 6. My top 6 picks were.
  1. Tom Yam Kong-hot and sour prawn soup
  2. Kai Phat Met-mamaung-stir fried chicken with vegetables and cashew nuts
  3. Nam-phrik aeng Khiaw waan-green curry paste
  4. Kaeng Khiaw waan Kai-green curry chicken
  5. Paw-pia Thawt-spring rolls
  6. Khao-neeaw Ma-muang-sticky rice pudding with mangoes

After being picked up at our hotel the instructor and I stopped by a local market on our way to the cooking school, here she showed me all the different veggies and spices that are used in Thai cooking (most of which I would be using later on that afternoon). It was very interesting because Ken and I had seen them all before but had no way of asking what certain things where because the people who work in the markets seldom speak English. Most Thai dishes are made from fresh items cooked quickly and in a wok. When at home the Thai eat sitting on the floor, each person has a plate of rice and main dishes placed in the middle and are shared with everyone dipping their sticky rice in the soups or main dishes. Thai also eat 6 or 7 times a day, it is amazing they are such small people and generally not over weight. One Thai described their food as fresh, healthy and made of herbs that were good for the insides. Interesting, but whatever the description I say it is just down right yummy!



Oiy, my cooking instructor and I get ready for an afternoon in the kitchen.

Hot and Sour Prawn Soup
ingredients;
  • 50 gr prawns
  • 3-4 pieces lemon grass
  • 3-4 pieces slices ginger root
  • 2 kaffir lime leaves
  • 1-3 dried or fresh chilies, crushed
  • 30 gr straw mushrooms, torn into small pieces
  • 30 gr onion, cut into pieces
  • 30 gr tomatoe, cut into pieces
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1-1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1 1/2 c chicken stock
  • sliced coriander and chives for garnish

method;

  1. Boil chicken stock in a pot, add lemon grass, ginger root, kaffir lime leaves and chilies, cook until boiling.
  2. Add straw mushrooms and large onion in the pot with gentle stir. Wait for a few minutes until everything is done.
  3. Add prawns, tomatoes, and season with fish sauce, sugar and lemon juice to taste. Turn off heat.
  4. Sprinkle with coriander and chives, it is ready to serve.

The best!!!



I made my own green curry paste from scratch, 13 herbs and spices. Pounded to pulp by hand. Obviously they haven't heard of a food processor in Thailand (or at least they are not admitting it.)


Rolled with my own hands vegetable spring rolls (sweet chili sauce for dipping) and banana spring rolls (sweetened condensed milk for dipping).

Now all I need is more chances to practice.




1 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Anonymous sharon said...

u can try them out on me when u get home.. :)

Happy
Birthday Ken...hope Heather cooked u a nice dinner!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home